Alberta Straub Bartender Mixologist Hostess
Seeking employment in a bar or restaurant with a fun creative environment where people are passionate about serving quality cocktails and providing superior customer service.
- Extensive knowledge of classic and pre-Prohibition Era recipes and drink making techniques.
- An innovator in “Slow Food” methods for the bar, able to source, create, and execute a comprehensive “Green Bar” program.
- Adept at creating a customer pleasing Specialty Drink Menu with seasonal specials.
- Comprehensive knowledge of spirits, liqueurs, wine and beer, “USBG Certified Spirits Professional.”
- Experienced bar manager with duties that include: inventory and costs, reconciling receipts, management of staff – hiring and firing, delegation of duties, etc – and marketing/promotion.
- Dedicated to customer service, able to build a regular clientele.
- Hard working team player, responsible, courteous and detail oriented.
- Skilled graphic designer, can produce distinctive bar menus, promotion materials, and advertisements.
- Knowledge of POS system.
- Certified Spirits Professional, Master Mixologist Accreditation Program, USBG, 2009.
- Pernod Ricard BarSmarts, “Advanced Bar Training Program,” Certified Graduate 2009.
- Gary Regan’s “Cocktails in the Country,” Bar and Spirits Training Program, Graduate 2007.
INDUSTRY SPECIFIC TRAINING
Dubbed the “Alice Waters of Booze” by the SF Weekly, Alberta has been at the forefront of San Francisco’s emerging culinary cocktail scene for over 10 yrs, During her 7 year tenure as Bar Manager at the Orbit Room Cafe (1900 Market St. San Francisco,) her drink menu earned a recurring place at the top of the annual “Best of the Bay” lists, and Alberta herself was named “Best Bartender,” by both the Weekly and SF Magazine. Gourmet, 7×7, Chow, Imbibe, the SF Chronicle, the Guardian, and Esquire have profiled Straub and her innovative drinks, and she was also featured on NPR’s “California Report,” and on the Fine Living Network’s “Great Cocktail” series, and most recently Alberta’ has been hosting her own mixology web-mixology show, “Cocktails on the Fly,” (www.OnNetworks.com), voted best video podcast of 2007 by Itunes.
The Parlor, San Francisco, CA — November 2009 – Present
Customer Service and general bar and drink making tasks. Hired to build business on a slow night with a “Flighty Hostess” signature drink menu and fresh homemade concoctions. Alberta changes the menu weekly, and is responsible for everything from shopping for produce and specialty ingredients, to making her own bitters, syrups, and tinctures, to designing the menus and promotional fliers.
Flighty Enterprises, San Francisco, CA — 2007 – Present
Recipe Development & Bar Menu Creation, Bar Staff Training, Private Event Catering, Alberta’s own consulting / catering service. Examples of Menus & Bar Re-Vamps available upon request.
“Cocktails on the Fly” Hostess and Show Content Originator — January 2007 – Present
Alberta’s own lifestyle internet show hosted by OnNetworks and sponsored by Imbibe Magazine.
Cocktails on the Fly is a series of 52 weekly episodes of different cocktails and cocktail techniques.
The show can be found on the Imbibe website, and as a free downloadable podcast on iTunes.
Cocktails on the Fly was named one of the top 10 podcasts of 2007 by iTunes.
Center for Culinary Development San Francisco, CA — 2005 – Present
As part of the “Chefs’ Council” Alberta helps to develop innovative and breakthrough product solutions which drive marketplace success for domestic and international clients. She is called upon several times a year to create original drink recipes for companies such as Pepsi Co., Nescafé, and Ben & Jerry’s.
Dram, Brooklyn, NY — January 2008 – September, 2008
Created fresh hand made cocktails in trendy high end speakeasy style bar specializing in pre-Prohibition cocktails with a modern twist. Worked with Cold Draft ice, all fresh ingredients, and classic drink making techniques. Created daily drink specials, made own bitters, tinctures and syrups, and organic products.
The Orbit Room, San Francisco, CA — January 2000 – 2007
Alberta was acting bar manager at this iconic neighborhood bar for several years.
She handled all the daily tasks such as ordering liquors, preparation of all mixtures, sugars, and tinctures, scheduling, reconciling receipts, and opening and closing procedures. She created and maintained an award-winning cocktail menu and trained all bar staff.
Square One Organic Spirits — May 2006
Alberta created 5 original drinks for use in the national ad campaign for the launch of Square One Organic Vodka.
University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV — Masters Degree, 2000
- Marc Halpren, Director, Center for Culinaary Development, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Mc Donagh, Bar Manager, The Parlor, email: email@example.com,
- David Nepove, Director of Mixology, USBG National VP, Southern Wine & Spirits,
- •email: DavidNepove@southernwine.com
- James Rodewald, Drinks Editor, Gourmet Magazine, email: James_Rodewald@condenast.com